Steak. Period.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

It doesn't get much more classic (or good) than steak and fries. And the best purchase I've made since I've been here (yes, period. Above and beyond the apartment, the living room furniture, the bedroom furniture, or even the wok) definitely comes in handy.

A deep fryer.

Toss in the sliced potatoes at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes, and you've got some fantastic fries.

Steak on the grill? In the broiler? Oh no. I pan seared my steak in melted butter for about 3 minutes on both sides, sprinkled on lots of freshly ground black pepper and some various seasoned salts, a pinch of cayenne, and stuck it to bake in the oven for about 12 minutes at 400 degrees for medium rare. I suggest checking using the Bobby Flay method of poking with your finger to estimate donness (the squishier, the rarer). And the butter seals in the juices in the steak while it bakes, so it comes out with all the juices sealed inside. Always remember to let the steak sit for a few minutes after you take it out of the oven while it continues to cook. It lets the juices cool and thicken just a bit so when you cut into the steak ALL the juices don't come out....and I can get my food on.


1 comment

Kristie said...

ummm, hello... yummy!!

April 22, 2007 at 4:07 PM