Nachos!

Saturday, April 7, 2007

Last week, when I mentioned I was making nachos, my rooommate thought I was referring to the kind you get at the movies.

I suppose this was before roommate had really gotten a chance to get to know T's cooking.

So tonight, nachos! But more like the variety you would get at a bar. Except better.

The great thing about Nachos is how versatile they are. I almost always make mine with chicken, but how you prepare the chicken can completely change the dish. For tonight's version:

Dried Basil
Ground Cumin
Garlic Powder
Chili Powder
Lemongrass
Ground Red Pepper
Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Preheat your oven to 350. I heated some olive oil in a small frying pan over medium heat and tossed the chicken, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes, in, along with bits of cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, and dried basil. I was only cooking for one, though, so it's important to remember a little bit of those spices goes a long way. None of them got anything more than a significant pinch.

Also add any sauces of choice here. I'll usually use worscheshire or liquid smoke, but tonight I wanted to go for something a little sweeter. So a few splashes of teriyaki later, and my kitchen was starting to smell good.

I reduced to medium-low heat...you don't want the chicken to cook too fast, or it won't allow the flavors to really congeal. I gave it about 10 minutes, and then added the lemongrass, red pepper, and four or five twists of ground black pepper. Of course, whenever I'm cooking for just me, I up the spice level a bit. For you kids at home, a twist and a half should do it. Then I gave it another five minutes or so in the frying pan. The chicken should be starting to brown before you take it out.

As the chicken was finishing up, I shredded some lettuce, diced a quarter tomato, and set it aside.

Take your favorite tortilla chips and scatter them in a single layer on a baking sheet or broil pan or whatever else you have handy. It's important not to double layer them, or the bottom layer will get soggy. Also, use less chips than you think you need, or you'll end up with a ton of empty chips at the end. Very little is more depressing
than an empty chip. Spread out some jalepenos, to taste, alongside your chicken. I want a jalapeno in every bite, so I probably use a bit more than you...

On a side note, this is a time when it's actually pretty important not to use fresh jalapenos. I made this mistake the first time I made nachos, , and Neighbor Taylor got to watch me drink three glasses of water after my first bite. Turns out fresh jalapenos are kinda hot.


Anyway, cover your new creation with cheese. I'm feeling way too lazy, and not particularly good at blending Mexican cheeses, so I just use a prepackaged Mexican blend of shredded cheeses from Harris Teeter. Yes, Harris Teeter. No more Publix or Kroger for me. Just Harris freaking Teeter. Which, thank God, is still superior to the likes of both Safeway and Giant. If you like cheese anywhere near as much as I do, you'll need more cheese than you think. Way more.

Stick it in the oven for about seven minutes, just enough to melt the cheese. Spread the lettuce and tomatoes on top and get your food on.

In other news, I need to figure out how to make these shorter. No way anyone wants to read 605 words about nachos. What's the saying about brevity?

1 comment

Johnna W. said...

I just want everyone to know that these are indeed the best nachos ever...although making them with a certain someone is definitely even better!

April 13, 2007 at 11:06 PM