Steamed Chicken with a Lemon Basil Sauce

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I realized that one of my big weakness in my cooking repertoire is a mastery of sauces. I also realized that I still had frozen leftover chicken marinated in the sauce Alyse mentions here.

I wanted to keep the flavors of the marinade, and really not add anything else like oil or butter. So I tried a little something new. Yup, I steamed chicken. Just like I would steam broccoli. Except with chicken. I placed it in a steamer insert and steamed it for ten minutes. Fan. Tastic. I don't know why more people don't do this. It came away super moist, juicy, and with all the flavors I marinated it in. Fantasticness.

So for my first attempt at an impromptu sauce, I took some of the juices from the chicken and added butter, cream, pepper, salt, saffron, paprika, sherry, lemon juice, and basil. Simmered for about ten minutes, and spooned over the chicken. Served it with some french fries. Nice. Plus, leftovers for two days of lunch. Even nicer.

2 comments

AK said...

http://www.whatgeekseat.com/wordpress/2007/06/11/cherry-ginger-chicken-whb/

doesn't that sound good.

June 12, 2007 at 11:46 AM
Tahir said...

I just realized this dish looks somewhat pathetic. I should have used a smaller plate.

Thankfully the steak coming later today MORE than makes up for it.

June 12, 2007 at 1:14 PM