California Roll Salad

Friday, June 29, 2007

Some time in the late 90s, this California girl (a.k.a. my mother) introduced me to the California Roll. Via Kroger or Publix or some other grocery store that I'm way too snobby to get sushi from any more, I stepped into the world of maki and never looked back.

My sushi tastes are now at the very least more complicated and, hopefully, more sophisticated. Masago makes everything better, eel is my favorite addition to just about any roll, and there are very few things I just won't try. But I thought that with another California girl (this time Marianne) in town, an ode to the California roll might be fun, just a little reinvented.

The preparation was super simple--I steamed sushi rice and added just a bit of rice wine vinegar and minced ginger (not enough to make it sticky, so really just a dash), sliced avocado, bits of imitation crab, and matchsticks of cucumber and carrots. Then I roasted a little bit of seaweed (held it for about twenty seconds over heat from the stove, just until it got crispy and turned green), and tossed it into the mix. Served immediately with a wasabi ginger dressing that I think I should have made into a vinaigrette. I will next time.

0 comments