Hey T! Cook this.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

My journey to....where the heck am I going, anyway?

Honestly, I'm not too sure. Does all this end in a stint in culinary school? Do I skip actual schooling and go straight into catering? How about a restaurant? What about this idea? Do I fit as well here as I think I do? (especially since they are notoriously low on minorities?)

Existential crises aside, I'm pretty sure that no matter what I want to do with this developing talent, it will involve learning to cook things that I'm uncomfortable with or may never even think to cook.

So I started to keep a list of new things I want to cook--things I've never made before. Right now, the list looks like this:

Poached Apples drizzled with chocolate
California Roll Salad, and other salad interpretations of classic dishes
Summer Rolls (coming soon)
Sauces involving one or more of the following ingredients: lemon, basil, garlic, saffron, peppers, mushroom, citrus, parmesan, provolone, sherry, a mole sauce.

So for all eleven of my readers, I'd be quite happy with some suggestions. What would you like to see me make and perfect? This will be one of the few times I demand you actually comment--so stop lurking and write a comment, even if you stay anonymous. Blow my mind, break my borders, make me cook something interesting.

6 comments

Caren (CK) said...

the best meal i ever had was prepared by Hapsburg princes in Florence... they had to give up their titles in order to open their restaurant (how's THAT for existential crisis?)... but they made DELICIOUS pecorino and pear ravioli... I tried to replicate it with my sister but we made it way too doughy and they came out too watery. I'd like you to try to cook that.

There was also a fantastic gorgonzola and pistachio sauce for penne pasta.

Also, Emeril is looking for the best burger recipe. Check out the contest at Good Morning America's website!

Now I'm hungry for lunch... bye bye!

June 20, 2007 at 11:01 AM
AK said...

I think one idea is if we just go through the entire sauce chapter of The Silver Spoon (which is more than just Italian cuisine it has a lot of unusual and classical French sauces in there). It also gives pairing ideas (i.e. how I came up with roast pork with grapefruit sauce).

Let me think on this some more and I'll send you an email of some ideas.

p.s. have you heard back from Tom yet?

June 20, 2007 at 11:02 AM
Anonymous said...

Well, since I'm a California girl, and you grew up on these.....what is obviously missing from your kitchen are avocados and artichokes (as the stars)....well OK, you did do artichoke and spinach dip.....but still (mom)

June 20, 2007 at 11:42 AM
AK said...

http://www.summitcgi.com/lacademie/Professional/ProfessionalHome.aspx?__EVENTTARGET=tvCulinary&__EVENTARGUMENT=sCulinary+Art+Program&tvCulinary_ExpandState=cnnnnnnn&tvCulinary_SelectedNode=tvCulinaryn0&tvCulinary_PopulateLog=&tvPastry_ExpandState=cnnnnnnn&tvPastry_SelectedNode=&tvPastry_PopulateLog=&tvAdmissions_ExpandState=cnnnn&tvAdmissions_SelectedNode=&tvAdmissions_PopulateLog=&__VIEWSTATE=%2FwEPDwUKMTgyMDc0MjA2OQ9kFgICAQ9kFgwCAw8PFgIeBFRleHQFFVByb2Zlc3Npb25hbCBQcm9ncmFtc2RkAgUPDxYCHwAFB1dlbGNvbWVkZAIHDxYCHgNzcmMFDFdlbGNvbWUuYXNweGQCCw88KwAJAQAPFgYeDFNlbGVjdGVkTm9kZWQeDU5ldmVyRXhwYW5kZWRkHglMYXN0SW5kZXgCCGRkAg0PPCsACQEADxYGHwNkHwJkHwQCCGRkAg8PPCsACQEADxYGHwNkHwJkHwQCBWRkGAEFHl9fQ29udHJvbHNSZXF1aXJlUG9zdEJhY2tLZXlfXxYDBQp0dkN1bGluYXJ5BQh0dlBhc3RyeQUMdHZBZG1pc3Npb25zHrtR8XVtwOi2YLO916njI5RZwTM%3D&__EVENTVALIDATION=%2FwEWFgKO8%2BT0DwK1k%2FTtBAL026SXAQK648SWDQL3t6qjAwKTkd7tDwLnnc62CQLEiJ%2FiCgLyvqjpCwLr%2BOnaBAK56OhoAqXFkfYGAv2NkSUCutze2gMC1emm1AYCz4HB7gMCp4OwdAKFmIPNCwLKmPSyCgKuvc2CDwKeurHICgKousjOA4lyOfF752VFkWaG1PwnD3rqXuCL

Be sure to also click on the "Externship Sites" link on the right.

Oh if I had an extra $30,000 lying around this is totally what I'd do.

June 22, 2007 at 7:55 AM
AK said...

http://www.summitcgi.com/lacademie/homepage.aspx

For some reason last time it didn't past the whole URL.

Go to the above, click professional programs, then click externship sites.

Sorry for my cutting and pasting retardedness.

June 22, 2007 at 7:57 AM