I don't know what to call this dish

Thursday, May 31, 2007

I got a request tonight for "Asian" and "shrimp." Knowing my audience, "spicy" came along naturally. So I dropped into Harris Teeter and grabbed whatever looked good.

Bok Choi, leeks, shrimp, gingerroot, snow peas, a yellow bell pepper, and a couple of habanero peppers. Hm. Habaneros, eh? What if I got some tomatoes, onions, lime, cilantro, and garlic? Salsa? Yes.

I started by mincing half of the habanero and sauteeing it in a couple of tablespoons of peanut oil. Then I added a few dashes of soy sauce and the minced ginger and let it all infuse into the oil. Then tossed in coarsley chopped bok choi, leeks, yellow bell pepper, and the snow peas. Finally, I tossed the shrimp in corn starch and added it.

Lesson learned: bok choi cooks quickly--just as quickly as shrimp. I should have added all of those ingredients at once. But the corn starch was a great idea, as it really thickened the entire dish.

[Update: So I forgot all about the Jasmine jasmine rice. Great idea: Take three jasmine tea bags and let them steep in the water with the rice as it cooks. The flavor is AMAZING. Also, the side of chinese fried noodles made for a terrific contrast in textures. This may not have been a home run, but it was definitely a triple.]

0 comments