Some time off

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

You ever get so hungry that you order/make a ton of food/desserts and scarf the whole thing down without breathing?  The kind of scarfing where you don't realize you've eaten so quickly you've outpaced your "full" feeling by quite a bit, leaving your stomach to continue to expand for a half hour after you've finished loading the dishwasher in a misery that can only be relieved in a way that makes me feel like I have an eating disorder?

Anyway, that was all a metaphor for how I feel about my last run of cooking.  It was great, don't get me wrong...but after all that food for weeks on end, I had to get back to my roots (Wendy's and Chick-fil-A...don't hate).  And while there's been plenty to write about in politics, I didn't really feel like anything warranted a full post of my personal commentary.  So just a few notes to get me back into this cooking (and blogging) thing.

  • It hasn't JUST been Wendy's and Chick-fil-A.  It's also been chocolate chip cookies!  The New York Times ran an article a while back about the perfect chocolate chip cookie...including recipe.  It calls for chocolate "discs" rather than chips and letting the dough rest for an unreal 18 hours.  Aside from a pretty obvious typo in the amount of chocolate (1.25 POUNDS???) this recipe was just about perfect.  In my second batch I added the sea salt after baking and could find absolutely nothing wrong with these warm, moist, chewy, droooool.

  • Speaking of Chick-fil-A. Oh. My. Goodness.
  • I'm finally doing this twitter thing.  To pre-empt your arguments, I refuse to update about bathroom habits or what color pen I'm writing with--I'm only going to update things of substance or hilarity.  Tune in if you'd like!
  • Watching lots of NBA playoffs and sending tons of love to my hometown Hawks!  By the way, why does Doc Rivers sound like he has emphysema?
  • Wolverine was downright RE-DONK-ULOUS.  The critics are haters.  Seriously.
  • Arlen Specter switched parties, and promptly voted against everything the Democrats have put to a vote in the last few weeks, went on national TV to claim he wouldn't be loyal, and rooted for the Republican lost cause in the Senate in Minnesota.  Can we send this one back?  I think it's defective.  (Even better, maybe we can upgrade to the Sestak model.)
  • Are you reading 2birds1blog?  Start.
  • Look what I discovered at The Gibson.  New favorite EVER.
What y'all been up to?

2 comments

AK said...

So apparently, on Sunday nights, Tiffany from the Gibson hosts a tiki night where she picks three random drinks from a Trader Vic's tiki cocktail book and makes them on the patio that night.

Since she's an awesome bartender, I feel this is something I need to get a Sunday off for and that we should attend.

May 7, 2009 at 10:47 PM
Shala said...

I honestly think I need to get a little credit for not touching the cookie dough as it gelled during that 18 hour period. I have never tasted a cookie so delectable as the ones that are pictured here. They were just (perfectly) crisp on the outside with a softer center, and the salt provided an appropriate "bite" in contrast to the sweetness of the cookie. This was not a cookie--it was an experience.

May 24, 2009 at 12:10 PM