New Look!

Monday, January 28, 2008

We're coming up on what feels like the 1-year anniversary of this bloggy goodness. Must say, the fact that it's still going at all is kind of an interesting testament--rarely have I stuck with any individual blogging project for so long. True, I've taken my share of hiatuses and breaks, but I still loving sharing with all 5 (6? maybe) of you my adventures in food.

And another adventure is coming up...the first of its kind in quite some time. This time, T tackles the Super Bowl. Of course, typical Super Bowl food--Tostitos salsa, hot wings, boring old ribs, chili, pizza, and burgers--just isn't going to do it for me. But I don't want to stray too far from tradition, so I thought I'd do upscale versions of each.

So I'll be frying my own tortilla chips and accompanying with a homemade salsa and perhaps an updated version of my spinach and artichoke dip. Don't know what the update will be yet, but I've made it the same way three times and I'm a big fan of variety.

Instead of chili, we'll try a smoked turkey and bacon chowder. Instead of pizza, we'll be doing the roasted tomato caprices with crostinis topped with varied toppings. The ribs will be braised in beer, spice crusted, and slathered in my very own barbeque sauce.

I took a few months off from cooking ribs and, when I got home got a request from the family. I went about making them the way I usually do, but when they finished, they were 823048 times tougher than I've ever made them before. I tried again when I got back with the same result. What happenned?

I didn't cover them while they braised.

Yup. That simple. Won't make that mistake again.

Now, the wings. Do I make them spicy? Sweet? Different batches? I'm crazy low on ideas.

Finally, a salad of cucumber, frissee, and yellow bell pepper with a red pepper coulis. And I might add tuna for my meat-eaters.

And I should do a dessert. What does that come to? 7 courses? Ish? Awesome. I'm insane. But thankfully I'll have the one and the only Alyse at my aid over the course of what is sure to be an insanely long Sunday of cooking. What could be better?

3 comments

AK said...

Okay, so I had a revelation about the wings. What about a sweet/spicy/sour sauce? More specifically...what about a glaze? I jacked this spicy honey-citrus glaze recipe from epicurious.

Glaze:
1/2 cup orange blossom honey
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
4 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
2 teaspoons finely grated lime peel
11/2 teaspoons hot chili sauce (such as sriracha)*

Stir all ingredients in small saucepan over medium heat until heated through. Set aside.

MMMMM...glaaaaazzzeee

January 29, 2008 at 11:08 AM
Anonymous said...

Alyse' suggestion sounds tasty!
Ever tried gumbo yet? (Mom)

January 30, 2008 at 11:27 AM
Anonymous said...

oh. god. i want to go to your place for super bowl. yum.

oh, yes, and alyse suggestion does sound tasty. personally, i'd go with citrus-spicy.

January 30, 2008 at 11:29 PM