More...

Monday, October 15, 2007

It really has been a long time--I forgot about a good number of other experiments from the last couple of months.
  • Ceviche Summer Rolls: These were...interesting. I'll start by saying I think I have a good idea here, but they weren't as well executed as I would have liked. I used bay scallops, shrimp, avocado, rice noodles, and a bit of napa cabbage. The ceviche was lime juice, olive oil, cayenne, and cumin. The scallops needed more time, and the avocado wasn't exactly ripe. And they don't keep well overnight. This is worth a second look, it needs something to counter the acidity of the ceviche. All that being said, we ate them all. Can't complain too much about that...
  • A Bit of Vegetarian Fare: This one's for you, pops. My girl Rachele doesn't eat none of that meat stuff, but I wasn't gonna let that stop me. Roasted Zucchini with just a bit of olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper goes fantastic with a drizzle of sweet soy reduction of soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, and black pepper. Served it with a mushroom and three cheese risotto topped with slices of portobello mushrooms blanched in white wine and vinegar and seasoned with salt. I have to be honest--didn't miss the meat in this dish at all.
Tomorrow Alyse and I are getting together to cook, so you should get another update pretty soon. Stay tuned!

0 comments